Te Kopuru School

Search   

BOARD OF TRUSTEES

WHAKATAUKI
Kia pai te whakatere i te
Waka kei paripari e te tai
Monenehu te kura nei

Steer with skill the canoe lest the
outgoing tide endangers the lives
of all those on board.

2016 BOARD OF TRUSTEE MEMBERS

Anthony Nelson
Board of Trustees Chairperson
Email:  atnelson@xnet.co.nz
Phone:  439 6444

Brenden Nathan
Property Portfolio
Email:  rawhiti07@xtra.co.nz
Phone:  439 6840

Bonnie Patterson
Health and Safety
Email:  bonnbonjp@hotmail.com
Phone:  439 5269

Maria Beattie
Finance Portfolio
Email:  mariabeattie@actrix.co.nz
Phone:  0210371447

Sophie Malone
Secretary
Staff Representative/Trustee
Phone:  439 1802

Lee Anderson
Principal/Trustee
Phone:  439 1802

Governance (a definition from Trusteeship NZSTA publication 2010)

The Board is entrusted to work on behalf of all stakeholders and is accountable for the school's performance. It emphasises strategic leadership, sets the vision for the school and ensures that it complies with legal and policy requirements. Policies are at a governance level and outline clear delegations to the principal. The Board and Principal form the leadership team with the role of each documented and understood.

The Principal reports to the Board as a whole, with committees used sparingly and only when a need is identified, in order to contribute to Board work.

The Board is proactive rather than reactive in its operations and decision making, and does not involve itself in the administrative details of the day to day running of the school. The Board is encouraged to ask the right questions. Enhancing student achievement is its focus.

Board Composition

The Board of Trustees at Te Kopuru School comprises of 5 elected parent representatives, an elected staff representative and the Principal.

Parent Trustees are elected to ensure the best possible outcomes for all students in the school. It is vital that Parent Trustees do not focus on their own children or on specific areas of responsibility or interest. Parent Trustees are there to bring a parent perspective to the Board table. This does not mean that they need to vote the way the parent community want them to, as they are privy to far more information and need to base any decision on all the information at hand. (Trusteeship p 21 NZSTA, 2010)

The Board's Role

First and foremost, Boards are accountable for student achievement. They exercise this prime accountability by providing strategic direction for the delivery of quality educational outcomes. They are responsible for ensuring that they focus their strategic planning on improving student achievement and teaching and learning programmes.

The School Board has overall responsibility for the school, including certain legal obligations covering property, personnel the proper management of school finances, reporting to the Ministry and school community.

The charter is the key guiding document for the board and outlines the strategic direction goals and aspirations of the school.

When writing or reviewing the charter a board is required to consult with :

Parents

Board staff

Maori communities in the school community and any other groups it sees fit

Board Meetings

The Board meetings are held in the school administration area at least eight times a year. Dates for these meetings are published in the newsletter and are on the website.  Board policies are placed on the School Website.  Minutes of Board meetings and school policies are available at the School Office.